Oct 10, 2008

Well, I was going to decorate for Halloween today....



But this is what it looked like outside today. I am highly disappointed because I want my Fall season, lol. Jumping from shorts last weekend to winter coats and gloves just isn't doing it for me. So, I spent the entire day on the sofa, bundled in my sweats, surfing the internet. I've learned a lot of interesting tid-bits today. Anyway, this weather is supposed to continue all weekend. I'm supposed to meet the ex tomorrow at 8am to drop the kids off. I HATE driving in this and I don't like the idea of him driving around with them in his car.
So since it's icky weather, I am going to be in my room all weekend, alternating between homework and scrapping projects. I have mid-terms coming up so I assume it will be more homework than scrapping, but I won't be able to focus on homework all day. I bought some albums yesterday at Big Lots for between $5-$7 each. I'm planning on raiding my stash and making some homemade gifts for Christmas this year. I won't be able to afford much else. But this will make gift giving fun. :)
So I still have no job prospects. :( I am trying to utilize any and all assistance programs available to me. Trying to apply for these seems to be a test of my patience, will-power, and sense of humor. I have been treated like I am a thief, a drug addict, and not the least bit intelligent. I understand that these case workers are jaded, but treating people with a little respect must be an ancient way of thinking. The lady that did my intake for medicaid was thisclose to respect. She at least realized ( I hope!) that I am using these programs as intended, as a leg up when times are hard. Today though I had one of those last straw frustration moments. I had applied for free/reduced lunch for the kids way back in mid-Aug. Because of track break, we did not received the "denial" letter until this past Monday. I was trying to fix the problem and was not met with an iota of success. Here's the letter I sent:
I am writing to complain about the handling of my inquiry into the processing of my application. I filed for free/reduced lunch in July, when my kids started at ATE. I was sent a letter stating I had to re-apply before 8/21/08, as my application was only approved for 45 days. I sent an application to the school, which was processed around 8/29/08, as that is the date of the letter I have in my hands. (Application #1090408) The letter was given to my children upon their return to school from track break on 10/06/08. According to the letter the application was denied because: . Yes, the denial reason was blank. I called to inquire why the application was denied. I spoke to KR, who after telling me my original application was only good for 45 days, which I already knew, informed me that was probably because there was no income documentation attached. I have two problems with this: 1. NOWHERE on the application does it say to attach any kind of documentation. 2. The reason for denial should have been listed on the denial letter.
When I spoke to KR, I asked if I could bring the documentation to the office on Your Street. She said that I could drop it off. I brought a copies of my unemployment letter, the denial letters, and the information about my children to the office and left it for KR at the front counter. This afternoon, I called and spoke to KR, explained the situation again and asked her about the status of the application. She looked up my children and told me in a very snotty tone that zero income applications were only approved for 45 days and that I needed to reapply. I explained that I understood that, and I had indeed reapplied and I had called about the denial letter I had been sent earlier and was told I needed income documentation. She told me that nutrition services did not send out letters and that she did not know what I was talking about. I asked her if she had the papers I had dropped off on Tuesday, and she told me no. I tried to refresh her memory about our earlier conversation, but I got the feeling that she really didn't care about resolving the situation.
I am very frustrated with this situation and the way I was treated. It is impossible to know that income documentation needs to be attached to the application if the instructions for filling out the application do not state that. The letter attached to the application states on line 7. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we MAY ask you to send written proof of income. It does not say that a copy must be stapled to the application, which is what KR kept repeating to me.
I cannot imagine I am the first person to be in this situation. And I am very disappointed that when I have tried to comply and resolve the situation that I was met with attitude and brick walls.
I am resubmitting an application at the school on Monday with my proof of income stapled to the application. I would like to know the standard processing time so that I can pay for lunches in the mean time.
Thank you for your time.
I don't know what good it will do, but I did everything I was supposed to and got attitude in return. I get really frustrated when the people that are supposed to be helping are putting up road blocks instead. And don't get me started about the made up rules. Seriously. If I'm supposed to "staple" back up documentation to an application, putting that in the instructions might be prudent. Just a thought. So apparently I'm stirring the pot again. My thinking is that if it needs to be stirred, hand me the spoon. I'm not out of line to ask for answers.

On the lighter side, my poor kitty Zero is not liking this drop in temperature. He has been next to me all day. Just trying to snuggle up and get warm I guess. He's even been following me to the bathroom, lol. It is kind of cold in the house. ;)

Well, I'm gonna put the kidlets to bed and hit the hay myself, mostly because of the down comforter. I'm freezing!

0 comments:


My Blog List

 

I Don't Need Therapy
...I Scrap
Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez